Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Israel, Three Months Later.

I've been in Israel for three months, and since I've gotten here, I've experienced so much. At the same time so little. The most emotional part of being here is watching Jews fighting Jews. It's really hard to watch how things could be so good, but people are so stuck in their ways and it just ruins things so badly.
What happened in Beit Hashalom was REALLY BAD. But I don't even know the worst of it because when people in Beit Hashalom were getting kicked (literally) out, I was all the way in Tel Aviv. I remember as I was getting off the train watching the scene on a TV screen hanging from the ceiling. I felt like crying. And there was nothing I could do, besides pray. So I did. But that didn't feel like enough for me. And I felt awful about the whole thing. There's something so wrong with this country. Jews don't expel Jews! Everything always seems to trace back to politics. I wish it weren't so bad, but it's not like Israeli politicians are know for being honest and trustworthy.
With such a sad situation in Israel, Shmuel Sokol took it upon himself to create a positive change. Jews are too passive to Arab violence, and he wants to put his foot down with many other like-minded people in Israel. He has a facebook group up, and a website. He is also working on collecting pictures of violent police officers from Beit Hashalom for purposes of lawsuits against their unnecessary violence. These officers broke the law and didn't wear name tags during the expulsion. This is probably to keep themselves safe of lawsuits. There's also a facebook group for pictures, and a website.

Recently the JIDF found that they were being threatened by Hezbollah on their official website. Shmuel Sokol took a look at it and found out a very interesting piece of news. Hezbollah was advertising free Hezbollah web mail accounts. The JIDF explained that Hezbollah web mail is supported by hotmail. As Shmuel puts it so nicely: "Thank you Microsoft, for providing technical support for Hezbullah's webmail." To read more click here.

Hamshushalaim has started! Anyone it Israel should definitely check it out. I remember last time I was in Israel for it, I had so much fun.

1 comment: